The acclaimed CBS program 60 Minutes (the show that created the TV news magazine genre) aired an infomercial/long form video news release-like interview with President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton Sunday night. Click here to read the transcript.
It's pure propaganda, or utter nonsense. Among the key foreign affairs questions that needed to be asked, cried out for asking were the following:
- Why did the United States abandon Egypt's President--an ally for three decades?
- Why is the U.S.persisting in backing Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood-dominated government?
- Why shouldn't the American people conclude that the U.S. intervention in Libya was unnecessary, counterproductive and downright stupid given that (a) the former regime had become a contained and compliant asset in the war against radical Islam and (b) the regime's ouster resulted in the killing of an American ambassador and three other Americans and the creation of an Al Qaeda/Islamist base that is spreading terror from West and North Africa to Sinai and Syria?
- Did the United States instigate the Syrian uprising that has also been taken over by Al Qaeda?
- Why have sanctions and diplomacy failed to stop Iran's atomic advance?
- Hasn't Al Qaeda been degraded rather than decimated?
- Has your administration's outreach to "the Muslim world" produced anything of real value? Isn't the very use of the term--the Muslim world--a concession to Islamist ideology, which posits a global Muslim nation, united by belief in the Koran to a degree that transcends all political, national, and ethnic boundaries? Didn't your repeated references to the Muslim world, your insistence on using the term, elevate a religion to the level of a superpower?
- The Muslim Brotherhood spawned Al Qaeda--and the assassins of Egyptian President Anwar Sadat, who was gunned down because he embraced the West and made peace with israel. How can you support the Muslim Brotherhood? Do you really believe that there is such a thing as moderate radical Islam?