Three days into the unconscionable rightwing Republican shutdown of the U.S. Government, one day after a Christian TV host called for a military coup, 14 days before a potentially catastrophic credit default by the Government….
- An unarmed woman with an alleged history of "mental issues" triggers a lockdown emergency at the Capitol and is … shot to death … by police who are not being paid and don't know when and if they will be paid … after a chaotic chase from the White House … in the wake of a mass shooting massacre at the Washington Navy Yard.
- A fascist bastard Texas Congressman berates a (female) U.S. Park Service ranger.
- Republican U.S. Senators from Kentucky are caught on camera discussing Republican
Regarding all of the above and the cruel and … exceptionally American … government shutdown, which seems to have been engineered to last at least another two weeks, this reporter recalls the following:
- President John F. Kennedy, who was assassinated a half-centry ago, believed that the fictional plot described in the thriller Seven Days in May was plausible. Given the extremely troubling circumstances of the assassination on November 22, 1963, he probably was the victim of some sort of coup.
- Three decades before Kennedy's assassination, a group of rightwing industrialists and bankers conspired to replace the administration of President Franklin D. Roosevelt with a fascist regime. Click here to read about the Business Plot.
In view of the above-referenced sordid history, this reporter (who was a 13-year-old high school freshman when Kennedy was killed) can't help but wonder if another coup plot is in the works. Really.
|Operation Northwoods document|
Stranger things have happened. To trust in supposed American exceptional-ism, to believe that America is immune to the fascist disease, that "It" ... what happened in Germany and Greece and Chile ... can't happen here … is dangerously stupid.
Something big is clearly happening. An unprecedented upward transfer of wealth, a movement to roll back more than a century of social advancements and worker gains--this much is obvious. But the signposts of something even more sinister are perhaps hidden in plain sight.
Time to pay attention, people.